6 Benefits Of Interior Window Shutters
At Arjay’s in Ventura, we’re very proud to be the retailer homeowners turn to when they need window coverings. From outdoor blinds to indoor draperies, we’ve got many years experience designing window treatments and customizing the options in our showroom to fit the homes and styles of our clients.
One window treatment that’s become increasingly popular over the years are interior window shutters, often called “plantation shutters.” Unlike the typical shutters, which are fastened on the exterior of the home and act much like outdoor blinds, plantation shutters are installed inside the home.
“Plantation shutters, sometimes called plantation blinds, are interior shutters with wide louvers, usually 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches wide. They’re the most popular type of shutter across the country, but particularly in the warmer Southern and Western states,” explains the DIY Network.
Keep reading to learn more about interior window shutters, the types you have to choose from, and the attractive benefits they can provide to California homeowners.
Types Of Plantation Shutters
These interior shutters give any home an elegant look, no matter what they’re made of.
- Vinyl Shutters – These are typically your least expensive option for interior window shutters, and may come with PVC or aluminum supports for added stability. Vinyl shutters can be hollow, solid, or vinyl-clad wood. Because vinyl is water-resistant, vinyl shutters are good in humid climates.
- Composite Shutters – Also referred to as “engineered wood or faux wood” shutters, these window coverings are made by wrapping medium-density fiberboard in a vinyl or PVC coating. Composite shutters should be considered when you want the look and feel of wooden shutters without the elevated prices.
- Wooden Shutters – These are the ultimate in plantation shutters, offering high strength-to-weight ratios and endless customization options. If you’re really looking for top of the line interior shutters, consider basswood which is considered the gold-standard in the window treatment industry.
Why Install Interior Shutters In Your Home?
Now that you have a better understanding of what interior shutters are and the options you have for materials, let’s delve into the benefits that that can provide for California homeowners.
- Privacy – For most people, the first and most important reason to invest in high-quality window coverings is privacy. We want to be able to move about our homes without the fear that people could be watching us from outside. If your property is very close to a street, normal blinds and drapes might not be up to the job. Interior shutters offer increased privacy that can’t be blown aside by the wind or penetrated by a flashlight.
- Low Maintenance – Tired of washing and vacuuming your drapes? Find it troublesome to rub down your motorized blinds with a dry sponge every time they’re looking dusty? Because they’re not made of fabric, window shutters are incredibly easy to clean. Simply wipe each side down with a damp cloth once a month and you’re done!
- Health Benefits – Surprised to hear that your window coverings can affect your health? Well, it’s true! Dust isn’t able to infiltrate and build up on window shutters the way in the same manner it does in fabric curtains and blinds. If you suffer from allergies in our arid environment, plantation shutters may be able to help.
- Flexible Light Control – When installed across the entire expanse of a tall window, interior shutters give you the option of closing the bottom panels while opening the top ones. This means that light can flow through the top of the window while still being blocked at the bottom.
- Protection From Noise & Heat – Unlike drapes or traditional blinds, window shutters are thick and often solid. This blocks out street noises and the heat of the sun in a way that fabric window coverings can’t. Likewise, closed shutters will keep heat inside a room when the temperature outside is cooler.
- Curb Appeal – At the end of the day, window shutters are simply a more elegant way to cover your windows. If you’re planning on selling your home in the near future, installing interior window shutters are a great way to improve aesthetic appeal and up your home’s value in the eyes of prospective buyers.
Interesting in learning more about window shutters and the benefits they can have on your home? Contact Arjay’s in Ventura today. Our experienced team can show you options and customize your choices to fit your home perfectly.