When we tell people that we specialize in custom window treatments for the interior and exterior of their homes, they typically think of the windows in their bedroom or living room. However, there are other windows in a home that may need to be covered, such as the windows included in French and sliding glass doors. These types of entryways are very popular here in California, as they provide easy access to outdoor areas and breezy pass-throughs between interior rooms of the home as well.
Finding window treatments for sliding glass doors isn’t quite as easy as other windows in your home. With windows in a bedroom or living room, you could get away with buying boxed blinds, a standard curtain rod, and some curtains at a big box home decor store. Your window treatments wouldn’t be unique or energy efficient, but they’d probably be enough to prevent prying eyes from peeking into your home.
However, if you’d like a customized window treatment for your sliding glass doors, it’s going to take a little more thought, and the help of the experienced window treatment team at Arjay’s Window Fashions in Ventura.
Keep reading to learn more about what it takes to make a sliding glass door truly beautiful!
Things To Think About When Buying Window Treatments For Sliding Glass Doors
As we’ve already mentioned, sliding glass doors present a little bit of a problem when it comes to choosing window treatments. For one thing, sliding glass doors have handles and locks that must be easily accessible. You don’t want to have to fight through yards of drapery every time you want to go outside.
Also, you’ll want to keep what’s on the other side of the door in mind. If your sliding glass door is the main entry to the house, or allows people to pass from the deck into the kitchen, you’ll want window treatments that can stand up to a lot of wear and tear. If the sliding glass door faces into your backyard, and is just a way to get from your bedroom to a private balcony, the most basic window treatments may suffice.
Types Of Windows Treatments That Work For Sliding Glass Doors
- Draperies – This is the classic solution to a sliding glass door that needs to be covered. Simply hang a curtain rod above the door and choose drapes that can be pushed to either side when not needed.
- Valence – If you don’t really need privacy, but want a way to make your sliding glass door looks a little more aesthetically pleasing, a short but stunning valance above the doorway may be a good solution. Remember, Arjay’s can create a custom valance using colors and textures that compliment your style.
- Vertical Cellular Shades – These unique window treatments can be fitted into tracks in your window frame, extending or collapsing like an accordion any time the glass door is opened and closed.
- Sliding Solar Screens – “Particularly effective at blocking both glare and damaging UV rays, these can be paired with a clear window film to boost protective power even further. They’re an intuitive and incredibly elegant layer for sliding doors, as they mimic the style and function of the door itself,” says Houzz of these window treatments.
- Motorized Roman Shades – Installed above the frame of the sliding glass door, these window treatments virtually disappear when not in use. Sun shining too bright? Need more privacy? Simply touch a button and the shades will descend, covering the entire door area.
Are you looking for unique window treatments to cover a sliding glass door? Contact Arjay’s in Ventura today!